Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Biggest Angel

So today while wandering the mall with a new friend who we'll discuss another day, I passed the Angel Tree. I have already bought and turned in stuff for two angels, a boy and a girl, and I had vowed that that was all I was doing this year. Last year I bought for seven of them and it got out of control. But as I passed that tree with all the names of the needy boys and girls hanging on it, I convinced myself to go for seconds. This time I decided that I didn't want to read through them and pick the ones I wanted because then I would be haunted by all the ones that I didn't get so I told the volunteers to just pick me two angels, a boy and a girl, and to make it the two oldest kids they could find. I figure everyone always picks the young kids with cute little wants and the older kids are always last picked. So they picked two for me and told me that they were both 15, I threw them in my purse and went on my way. Later tonight I pulled them out of my purse and actually looked at them for the first time. To my dismay I saw that neither one of the listed what they wanted for Christmas. Under the section where it tells you what the kid is asking for it said "Age Appropriate". What the fuck? That's fairly dangerous; isn't it? Who knows what a fifteen-year-old disadvantaged youth wants for Christmas. Not Hot Lips.

They did however have their sizes on the card. They always put the kids sizes on there so we can not only make them happy with toys, but make sure they stay warm this winter. I look at the girl's sizes and she wears a size 10 shoe and a women's size 22 clothes! Now that's a big 15 year old. Could that even be possible? I half suspect the mama put her own size down so she could rake in the free loot. But I can't think that way, I've just got to do my good deeds and keep on keeping on. So I went to the Cato Plus Fashions and tried to think like an obese afro american (at least I'm guessing by her name, it has lots of vowels) 15-year-old. And really, if anyone is up for that challenge it is Hot Lips. I got a camoflauge j lo suit (which I am most proud of) some jeans and a sweater and a dress up outfit, some tacky jewelry and an even tackier fur-lined faux leather purse with lots of buckles and furry gloves, scarf and hat. I rock! But now the question is, what do I buy as the actual gift. I hate to say toy because she's 15, but you know what I mean, something other than clothes. Help a sista out.

I bought the boy a basketball and a football and cd player and mp3 player (they came together, who knows, maybe he has a computer thanks to Blue Hippo). I figure I'll hit the Gap this weekend and get him a few outfits. Any other ideas?

Give till it hurts, people.

5 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama

Okay, I know zilcho about teenage girls, but I did consult with my friend who has two daughters age 15 and 16 (God help her).

Her suggestions - mp3 player, maybe a small stereo like you can get at Costco or Target. She also said her girls like www.alloy.com for clothes and stuff (although it sounds like size is an issue here), jewelry from Claire's, and they adore Bath & Body Works stuff. DVD's, CD's, stuff like that.

Boys - I got nuthin' unless he is into Power Rangers, and if he's 15 then I'd be totally concerned about that.

10:07 AM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk

What are you saying?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Arcturus

Hi there, HotLipz ... I don't have any clothing recommendations ... you probably wouldn't consult me for fashion tips anyway ... but I just wanted to say hello.

"Hello!"

5:44 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy

I think builder mama has got it right.

There is nothing I can add.

:)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Joe

This post made me laugh like a tard watching monkeys screw.

Merry Christmas, Hot Lips.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home