Thursday, March 22, 2007

You Want A Piece Of My Heart

You know how everyone has a theme song? Everyone = Oprah. Everyone except me. Well, Hot Lips finally has her theme song.

Workin for the Weekend

I remember being a youngster in West Virginia in the early '80s. My mom was divorced and going to college full time, and we lived in these weird dorms for people with kids. My mom would leave me all alone in the dorm/apartment and go upstairs to get high with her friends for hours. Oddly, even as a five year old I wasn't scared to be home alone. I would just hang out with the cat and watch TV. I wasn't allowed to answer the phone, though because it might be my grandparents, and they couldn't find out that my mom had gone off and left me all alone. I was pretty much a grown adult before I entered kindergarten. But I digress. Sometimes I would go through my mom's album collection. My favorite was the one with the butt in tight red leather pants with a pair of crossed fingers. I knew what crossing your fingers meant because my mom would always walk around with her crossed fingers in the air before she had a big test or on the day the child support check was supposed to arrive. I also really liked the album with the guys with the red flower pots on their heads.

So one day recently I realized that I had lost track of my days. I thought it was a Thursday, but apparently that was only wishful thinking because it was only a Wednesday. And the next thing I know, I'm sitting on the toilet taking my morning piss and singing to myself.

Everyone's watching, to see what you will do
Everyone's looking at you, oh
Everyone's wondering, will you come out tonight
Everyone's trying to get it right, get it right

Everybody's working for the weekend
Everybody wants a little romance
Everybody's goin' off the deep end
Everybody needs a second chance, oh
You want a piece of my heart
You better start from start
You wanna be in the show
Come on baby lets go


It was like a magical epiphany moment. It was as if the words to that song spoke to me on a higher plane than anything ever had. Truer words have never been spoken...or sung for that matter. I just want to turn up my collar and tap my heel.

That was a couple of months ago, and I have caught myself unconsciously singing that tune in my head several times a week. The next thing I know I've got myself a full blown theme song. And as any good theme song does, it has become words that I live by. Through no conscious decision of my own, I have realized lately that instead of the work weeks seeming to drag on ad infinitum, they actually seem to fly by. I swear it seems like yesterday was Monday, but yet tomorrow is Friday. I just keep my nose to the grindstone, my eye on the prize, my hand in the cookie jar, my finger on the pulse and my heart on my sleeve and poof, it's the weekend.

Alrighty then.

3 Comments:

Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk

Loverboy's a douche.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy

I think that was one of the most touching posts you ever written.

It brought a tear to my eye....

5:49 PM  
Blogger Arcturus

You have rather hairy forearms ...

So you had an epiphany on the toilet? I've heard of moments of creativity on the john, but not spirituality!

I think you're theme song should be, "Fish don't fry in the kitchen! / Beans don't burn on the grill! / Took a whole lotta t-rryyy-in', a justa git up that hill / But now we off in the big league / Gettin' our turn at bat!...

Or maybe,

There's a new girl in town, and she's luuuukin' good! / There's a fresh freckle face in the neighborhood! ..."

(The former would be from The Jeffersons, of course, and the latter, since you probably don't remember the show, Alice

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home