Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Family Affair

I just don't have anything to say anymore. I don't know what happened, but all blogging ability has left me. I'm just an empty void. And then after you haven't updated for two weeks, it is kind of like, What's the point?

What is the point?

I'm getting ready for vacation. Long-awaited and overdue vacation. Sweet sweet vacation.

Every year as a child my family would pack up and go to Myrtle Beach for the week after 4th of July. We would go the same week and stay in the same hotel. Family from all over the country would meet us there and it was this really fun vacation/family reunion same time, same place every year. I haven't been in 8 years. My uncle was killed in a motorcycle accident around vacation time. And as you can imagine, it was a devastating family tragedy, and vacation was canceled that year. The next year the hotel was closed and up for sale. And I was simultaneously becoming a grown up and not tagging along on family vacations anymore.

Somewhere over the past couple of years the vacation has gotten back on track. The hotel has reopened under new management and everyone has gotten their vacation schedules resynchronized. I haven't joined back in on the reindeer games because I have permanently attached myself to someone who hates the beach and also there's the little thing about the wicked stepmother. So I've instead opted that my vacations consist of tagging along on business trips, hopefully somewhere that gambling is legal, and staying drunk for 7 days 6 nights.

But this year wholesome family vacation has found its way back to my life. Not necessarily by design, but it is the end result that matters, right? Remember when I bought all of those timeshare "points"? I got a little a crazy with the points purchasing and as it turns out I am able to go on several deluxe vacations. I picked Myrtle Beach as my first destination, and as luck would have it, the week after 4th of July was the only week available in the big, fancy, new, oceanfront resort. I'll take it. I also decided to burn some points by booking myself into the 4 bedroom presidential room.

And this is where the wholesome family vacation really kicks in. With all that room, I gotta take someone with me. Far be it from me to let a 4 bedroom presidential go to waste. So I'm taking my two god children (ages 6 and 8) and are you ready for this? A French exchange student. Her name is GiGi and she will be meeting us on Sunday and spending the rest of the week with us. Then she'll come home with us and stay the rest of July. What? It was Big Daddy's compromise with me if I didn't get a crack baby.

I've been having a hard time reconciling these maternal feelings that I've been suffering from ever since I turned 30 with the fact that I hate kids. I figure spending my vacation as a mother of three ought to help out with that.

And yes, of course I've prepared for the trip down there by purchasing a new, rather large, gas-guzzling SUV with dvd players and plenty of cargo room for my new brood.

Love Ya'll.

7 Comments:

Blogger Arcturus

That was a wonderful entry. What do you mean you feel only a "void" inside you when you try to blog. That's nonsense. This entry said otherwise.

It's not the amount of time you go without blogging that's a problem. Rather, if it is a question of not having others read your entry (which seems to be implicit in your lament about 'what's the point'), then you just need to post a few snarky and/or "great entry!" comments on other blogs, and folks will immediately come back to yours (except for Motor City Monk -- he seems to be in his own world these days).

By the way, you do know my dad lived in North Myrtle Beach for a couple of years? I once walked on the beach and in the surf nearly 10 miles from the center of Myrtle Beach (1st Ave. N) all the way to N. Myrtle Beach where he lived.

I was in read pain by the end of that.

PS, If Gigi the French exchange student doesn't go, I volunteer to take her place.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Arcturus

I mean "real pain" by the end of that walk.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy

Have you seen Gigi yet?

If she's hot, are you gonna have a problem with her like you did the flower shop crush?

Btw...thanks for answering my email.

and don't stop blogging or me and Arc will find our way up there and take up residence with you.

How'd you like that?!?!?

7:56 PM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk

As you might have expected I am very interested in hearing more about this...A French exchange student. Her name is GiGi and she will be meeting us on Sunday and spending the rest of the week with us.

Should give you plenty of blogging material to take you thru the rest of the summer. Take notes please.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Builder Mama

I would say after a vacation with three kids you'll get right over those maternal longings. Either that or you'll want to have lots and lots of kids like the Duggars.

5:25 PM  
Blogger hotlipz

Pissy, wash your mouth out! She's going to be like my kid. You have such a filthy mind! Shame on you!

Arc, I think I remember about your dad living in NMB. He has a thing for warm weather beaches, doesn't he?

MCM, I knew that best of anybody you would like GiGi

BM, The Duggars are the weirdest, aren't they, with their little house on the prairie clothes and shit.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Arcturus

Yes, he lived in North Myrtle Beach for a period of time. Yes, he has a thing for trashy Southern beach towns. But he has an even bigger thing for substance-abusing woman significantly younger than him who hang out in trashy karaoke bars. That's why his plan to move to Key West, Fla., actually confuses me -- it seems on the surface of it to lack that trashiness, but I might be wrong.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home