Monday, April 30, 2007

I'm Changing My Name To Sugarfoot

My friend KT came down from DC this weekend and we hung out yesterday. KT is one of my all time favorite people, but more on that later. Somehow at the end of the day we ended up on the computer looking at Myspace. I totally am not into Myspace and don't get it at all, but KT, being the cool cat that she is, is all about it. So we were at her little page and she was showing me all of her friends and we were clicking this one and clicking that one. She was showing me all the people from high school that she had hunted down and were now her "friends." And so I went around checking out all of my former classmates Myspace pages as well. As it turns out, they all live out west somewhere and all the boys have grown hideous beards. What's up with that?

And I started to reminisce about high school and I had a realization that as horrible as I thought it was at the time, it really wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. There wasn't any Clueless, Means Girls type activities going on. As a matter of fact, my high school was made up mainly of hippies. I find this particularly strange because I didn't go to high school in San Francisco in the '60s but in conservative, suburban Richmond, Virginia in the '90s. But the coolest car you could drive in high school was a Jeep and everyone wore tie dyes and Birkenstocks and smoked weed and listened to the Grateful Dead. This was back when Jerry was still alive. We also had an unusually high lesbian population, but that's another story for another time.

So as I was thinking about this I realized that it wasn't really such a surprise that everyone I went to high school with ended up in Seattle with beards and cool graphic design jobs and Jettas. But it really begged the question as to exactly how and when I decided to open door number two and become a snobby, materialistic yuppie. And I thought if I ever got a Myspace page my caption would have to be, My House Is Bigger.

But whatever, I can think of worse captions.

Love,
Sugarfoot

6 Comments:

Blogger Big Pissy

You DO realize that you've described my step-daughter, don't you?

Only she drives a Saab.

Which I think qualifies as even worse than a Jetta.

1:20 PM  
Blogger hotlipz

But does she have a beard?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Nobody

Conservative Eden in the 90's... deadheads, birks, patchouli, and the HOTTEST GUYS drove Jeeps TOOOOOO.

I think it was just our era.

I chose door 2 too. Though I wouldn't mind blogging from a Starbucks in Seattle right now =)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Builder Mama

Wow, they had that in Richmond? I'm duly impressed.

4:14 PM  
Blogger mist1

I am deathly afraid of growing a beard. Please, don't tell anyone, but I have this one hair on my chin that comes back every few months. I always seem to notice it in the car because that's where the lighting is best. I keep a tweezers ready.

4:41 PM  
Blogger hotlipz

BM, from what I hear now, the high school is mostly black now. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just noting the change.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home