Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Trip To The Looney Bin Is In Order

S'up fuckers?

I think that's how I am going to start every blog entry from now on. It has a nice ring to it.

S'up fuckers?

So we were going to talk about the first time I met Big Daddy and singing karaoke in a bowling alley, but at the last minute I've decided that we're going to talk about how I'm going crazy. Like literally. I'm pretty sure if I were to submit to laying on a couch, I would be immediately diagnosed.

I was voted Most Carefree in high school (the prize was a pack of Carefree gum, ha ha) . I don't sweat the small stuff, I usually don't sweat the big stuff. I approach most issues with a what's-the-worst-that-can-happen attitude. I've always been the laid back one, no matter what group you are referring to, I'm the laid back one. Maybe it was all the pot my mom smoked when I was in utero, but I'm usually pretty chill.

But lately I've noticed that I'm becoming increasingly uptight. I think it has been coming on slowly for years, starting with my growing obsession with cleanliness. But lately it is spiraling out of control. In the last couple of months I have gone from yeah when my house is clean I'm a happier person to holy shit I'm a crazy bitch.

And I think I'm realizing that a lot of it is stemming from my job. This was really the last place that I looked because like most things, I don't take my job too seriously. It doesn't define me, I don't work 60 + hour weeks, I'm not goo goo passionate about it to where I am thinking about it 24/7. If I didn't through some white trash fantasy insist on living in a 5,000 square foot house and carrying $700 purses, I would be just as happy working at the Gap.

When I first started working in my profession, I was basically thrown to the wolves more or less. I didn't have the proper training, I didn't have any mentors and I didn't have a support system. It was truly initiation by fire. I fucked a million things up in the beginning. Probably a lot more than that that I never found out about. But I felt I had no choice but to just forge on and deal with it. Looking back, I probably should have asked a lot more questions and reached out for help a lot more. But asking for help isn't really my thing, so I just did shit the hard way and worked it out. If anyone had a right to have a mental breakdown from work related stress, it was me back in those early days.

Now, years later, I'm my own boss. I've been doing this for years. I've built an excellent support system around myself. It should be smooth sailing. But I find myself now more than ever obsessing about every little thing. I'm like Rain Man. I check, recheck, triple check, and check again my appointment book. I compulsively check my voicemail at home, work and my cell because I'm always frantic I'm missing an important call. Not that I'm expecting an important call or anything, but if I don't check my voicemail 10,000 times a day it haunts me. I know I am driving the girls in the office crazy because whenever I'm not there, I'm calling and checking in constantly. I'm always checking and double checking and clarifying things or calling in to give them very minutely detailed instructions for every little thing.

So it just sounds like someone stressed out from work, right? But that's all strange behavior coming from me. But here comes the crazy part. I'm always knocking on wood. Seriously. Over the last couple of weeks it has become a compulsion. It went from a silly little superstition to a full blown oh shit, I just thought of something bad and if I don't knock on wood right now it will come true compulsion. I would estimate that I'm knocking on wood 15 times a day, but that's up from 10 times a day last week and never just six months ago. And all I can think of as I'm knocking on wood is about that weird guy on some special I watched on mental disorders who has to compulsively wipe his ass 37 times and then wash his hands 14 times after every trip to the bathroom or bad things will happen.

I've also become increasingly obsessed with safety. It all started with getting the alarm. Since then I have gotten that bar thing for the sliding glass doors, then new dead bolts, I check to make sure all the doors are locked 4 times before I go to bed at night. I've also gotten carbon monoxide detectors for every floor of the house and an emergency fire ladder. This is truly unhotlipslike behavior.

I'm telling ya'll, I've got the full blown crazies.

13 Comments:

Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk

Adult Onset OCD.

Look it up.

Best of luck.

Ok, I made that up - but doesn't it sound good?

2:18 PM  
Blogger Arcturus

Well, i feel your pain. Except I was always so frickin' uptight and now there are signs of the opposite slowly being to happen, although in any given day, it is overwhelmed by my return to manic nuttiness and irritability.

Re. ass-wiping, well, that's better than if he didn't do it all. When I lived with my stepfather's mentally insane, racist proletariat family in Baltimore in 1981 for a little while -- before moving back with my dad in NJ -- I was daily treated to the sight and sound the younger, very mentally retarded brother of Ray (my mother's husband) running out of the bathroom wiping his hand with his ass and smelling it ... I wish I were joking.

Once Ray's mother, Miss Kay, screamed at the top of her lungs, "RONNIE, STOP SMELLIN' YOUR ASS!!"

I wish I had good advice for you. Maybe you need to smoke some pot. It's probably more effective than most anti-depressants.

Hang in there.

P.S. Oh, yes, even I don't knock on wood 15 times a day ... 3 or 4 times at most. Sorry, couldn't resist.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy

Three words: Zolof and Klonapin

Works for me!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Arcturus

My experience was a bit different ... I have had a lot more luck Wellbutrin and Lamictal than K or Z ... Of course, only in stupid Big Pharma ads does the brain work like some uniform predictable machine where these compounds do precisely what they are 'supposed' to do.

Why does the name Lamictal one sound like a laxative?

7:25 PM  
Blogger Jo

You're OCD.

How about some effexor? It really settles the hebbie-jeebies. :D

8:43 PM  
Blogger hotlipz

So you all are telling me that everyone here is medicated? Seriously?

9:09 PM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk

I'm not medicated...YET.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy

Hotlipz: Almost everyone I know is either medicated, wants to be, or wishes they could be.

10:04 PM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk

I think Pissy's right. I need some good tranquilizers for this weekend.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Arcturus

HotLipz: Of course everyone here is medicated. That's a given.

Why won't Jay tell me where he got his Larry King monkey image? I got mine off Bartcop.

http://www.bartcop.com/king-mid.jpg

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

no effexor

ohh, i should update ya'll

so i got off the effexor and switched to the wellbutrin, and its like before, i feel more awake, but EVERYTHING pisses me off. why can't ANYONE do ANYTHING right?

so now, do i just feel like myself but pissed off all the time, or do i walk around like a zombie and gain 30 more pounds??

i think i chose skinny but bitchy

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

chose=choose

duh

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jo

arcturus, i got it by googling on yahoo images. I have no idea where it really came from.

i agree with Pissy. :)

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home